Sunday, February 26, 2017

Lighten your load

Have you ever found yourself carrying a heavy load, someone asks if they can help you and you say, "Nah. I've got this"?  Is that something you would do?  I've done it a million times.  I just don't want to put anyone out so I usually "tough it out" and do it myself. Sure, my back is killing me or my arms hurt by trying to carry all 10 bags of groceries in at the same time, but I get it done -- the hard way. Meanwhile, that person may wonder "Why on earth wouldn't she let me help her?  She looks like she's struggling."  But, if you say "no", typically your would-be helper is off, perhaps helping someone else in need WILLING to accept their help.

Why do we do that?  "I am woman....hear me roar!" Or, "I don't need anyone's help. I've done things myself my whole life, I'm not gonna stop now."  Or, "Why burden someone else when eventually I'll get this done myself." Or how about "I'm a big girl (or boy). I don't need to depend on anyone."

I'm sure there's many more reasons why we choose to carry our burdens/heavy loads alone.  Those were just a few examples I could think of.

Image result for picture of people helping othersNow, those of you that DO accept help from others....how does that make YOU feel?  I'm going out on a limb here and going to say it makes you feel better, free-er, happier, not so lonely, maybe even relieved to get some much needed help.  Those of you that are the ones offering help, how does it make YOU feel when someone accepts your assistance?  Again, out on a limb.....you feel good about what you've done.  You see the relief on that person's face by helping them.  You feel their joy or their happiness.  You're NOT checking off something on your 'to-do' list but rather, giving a helping hand and expecting nothing in return.  The satisfaction of knowing you've helped ease the burden of someone in need is reward enough.  It's a win/win for everyone involved!

Admittedly, I'm one of those "Nah. I've got this" kind of people.  I usually tell people I don't need help.  I have chosen for most of my adult life to turn help away.  There have been just a handful of times where I have turned to certain friends for help.  There have been MORE than a handful of times where I've needed help - spiritually, emotionally and temporally (earthly help) but have carried the "burden" alone.

Is it because I don't feel worthy of help from others?  Maybe you (me) have too much pride to admit you need help??  Is it because you have no one to ask for help?

Reality is, we ALL NEED HELP, sometimes on a daily basis.  And there is always one person that will be there to help....we just need to ask for it.  Read on ......

A few weeks ago in our Sunday School class, we were discussing the first principals of the Gospel: Faith, Repentance, Baptism and Gift of the Holy Ghost (confirmation).  As we discussed repentance, there were many comments made, really good comments.  We were discussing how we can repent and truly feel forgiven.  There was one comment that stood out to me more than the others.  This sweet sister said, "What would I tell "me" if I could talk to "myself"?"  Think about that for a moment.  How many of us have helped someone get through a tough time in their life?  (We know how we can help someone physically, but now we've changed to the spiritual or emotional help.) We've probably offered words of encouragement or said something like, "The Lord is always there for you.  He hears and answers our prayers.  He loves you.  He forgives you. Trust Him" or something along those lines.

So, as I pondered on what this dear friend said, I thought to myself, "Why am I so quick to tell others how much our Heavenly Father loves them and how His Son, Jesus Christ, paid for their sins or how I served a mission for 18 months proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how He atoned for all of our sins....and yet, I can't seem to place ME in that category of Him forgiving ME, TOO."  I have no qualms helping people feel the love the Savior has for them but I choose to continue to carry my "burdens" from YEARS AGO.  I KNOW the Savior died for each of us and just before His death, he took all of our sins upon him, even mine!....and yet, I CHOOSE to carry my burden....I 'refuse' to give it to him.  If I continue to carry my burdens alone and not allow the Savior to help me, my journey is going to be slow and daunting.  My path will always seem long and lonely.  My 'arms' and 'back' will hurt all the time.

Image result for Pictures of Psalm 55:22 KJVPerhaps it's time to swallow my pride.  Perhaps it's time to allow others to help me, including my Savior.  The road doesn't HAVE to be difficult.  Our burdens can be made light.  We just have to accept the help that is offered, whether it be a friend, neighbor, or even a stranger offering to help carry a heavy object for you or if it be the Savior saying, "I've paid the price. Accept my help.  Let me carry your burden for you."

Matthew 11:29 teaches us: "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." 


Image result for picture of christ sharing our burdenA yoke is a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plow or cart that they are to pull. By being 'yolked' together, the burden is SHARED and neither animal (or person in our case) is forced to carry out all the work, or bear the burden, alone.


I'm sure we could all enjoy some "rest for our souls".  By carrying our own burdens, that the Lord has offered to carry, our souls may still be harrowed up by those burdens.  Peace may be difficult to come by as we continue to carry our burdens alone.

Image result for Pictures of Elsa let it goAs Elsa so eloquently said....LET IT GO!  Accept the Lord's help. Lighten your load, share it with the Lord and feel the peace that comes by allowing the Savior to walk with you, yolked together with Him.




Image result for picture of christ sharing our burden king james version


My friends, we are NEVER ALONE....sometimes we just choose to ignore the help that is right in front of us.



Much love,
Debbie


4 comments:

  1. I love this Debbie! I am at most times the person who waves off help or doesn't ask when I should. I don't want to bother friends and maybe don't always have the faith I should to even remember that I can ask the Savior. I ask for the big things but I forget that even the little burdens he can and WANTS to help me with.
    Thank you for this post Debbie. I know we all need reminders from time to time like this. Thanks friend. I'm grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, truth be told, after your comment that Sunday, this blog post has been brewing on the back burner. I'm glad I made the time to write this. Thanks again for being the inspiration behind this post.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff. I needed to read this today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Deb. Glad it was a help for you. God Bless.

      Delete