Saturday, December 31, 2016

My Footprints

Image result for pictures of footprints in the sandWithin the last 19 years I have lost people that meant a lot to me.  First I lost my daddy.  He was about 50 years old.  His heart just gave up.  Then, a few years later, I lost my grandma (my dad's mom).  She was a sweet woman - somewhere in her 70's (maybe even 80's), I think.  I'm not 100% sure what she died from....cancer?  Some time after that, I lost my sweet 17 year old nephew to leukemia.  My granddaddy (yes, my dad's dad and grandma's husband) passed away a few years ago. He was in his late 80's, I think.  I don't know what his actual cause of death was but I know he missed my grandma.  And just this past November (the 26th, to be exact), my mom passed away.  She was 71 and had been battling diabetes, which lead to other complications and then colon cancer came along. Her heart finally gave up.

But DON'T STOP READING.....this post isn't a sad post, I PROMISE!

Daddy, Me and Jennifer
I only tell you about "my" losses to open a few thoughts up to you.  You see, when I think of my daddy (yes, even at 49 years of age, I still refer to him as my daddy) I think of a man that loved others.  He wasn't a church goer or a religious man but he had a big heart.  He actually died a homeless man.  Nevertheless, he was loving and kind.  Don't get me wrong...he wasn't perfect and yes, he had a temper and he even used foul language, smoked and drank.  But, when I remember him I remember the man that loved others and treated others with kindness.




Grandma and my Daddy
(couldn't find a pic of
Grandaddy at my finger
tips)


Then there's my grandma and my granddaddy.  They were a great pair.  I have fond memories of being with them as a young child.  My parents divorced when I was a baby but I always spent time with my grandparents.  I learned that grits and fried eggs were DELICIOUS, or maybe it's because they were made with love by my southern "grown" grandma.  Granddaddy always took us in the backyard to see the big old tortoise and feed him lettuce.  We would go over the "thinking cap" bridge whenever we would go out on drives with Granddaddy.  They were good people.  All their neighbors knew and loved them!





Cory
Cory - my 17 year old nephew.  He was a "good boy".  Perfect?  Nah. But a good, respectful young man with a heart of gold and a smile that lit up a room.  I remember him playing the piano one time and he looked at me and said, "Aunt Debbie!  Wanna watch me 'tickle the ivories'??" Whenever I hear that phrase, I think of Cory and the love for life he had. He left a lasting footprint in the lives of all those he came in contact with. He was loved deeply by his peers at school and even his leaders.  In fact, the school asked if we could hold his funeral on a Saturday so the administration team could attend - along with A LOT of the student body. Yes.  He left footprints - GOOD footprints, for sure.




No automatic alt text available.
Mom and me - a few years ago
Mom.  Mom and I didn't have that tight, close-knit, mother-daughter relationship that others have but we still had a good relationship.  She was always willing to help others.  She loved feeling needed. She WANTED to be needed.  Christmastime each year (she lived with us for 7 years) she would donate money or gifts to strangers, either through an organization or through a friend.  She just made sure she donated something to someone.  Our children have fond memories of my mom living with us.  We would play games or watch TV with her.  She would take them to 7-11 to get slurpees just for the heck of it.  She was a giver...not always, but she DID give.

So, what does this have to do with anything?  Well, as I was pondering on what to blog about for my last post for 2016 I thought about writing about resolutions.  I mean EVERYONE does at least one resolution each year, right?  But then I thought, who wants to read about resolutions?  That would be so easy and "typical".

Then I thought about people in my life....people that have come and gone and the impressions they have left on me - the FOOTPRINTS they have left on my life, on my heart.  Then I thought about ME.....what kind of footprints am I leaving?  When I'm gone, what will be said about me?  What kind of legacy am I leaving behind for others to remember me by?

I want people to remember me for my love for others, my humor (as funny as it may NOT be even), my willingness to help others, my love of family, how I made them feel when they were around me. And THEN I THOUGHT....what if I'm not leaving that kind of footprint in other's lives?  What if I'm being remembered as selfish, unkind, thoughtless, abrasive, etc?  WHAT IF???

Image may contain: textSo, as we roll into 2017 and make new year's resolutions, perhaps we first think about the FOOTPRINTS we are leaving behind.  Sure, we all want to lose that last 5 pounds (well, for some of us, it may be more like 15 pounds but I'm not telling you my weight!) or start working out more or get a better job or read more books or learn to knit (ha! I already know how to knit so that's not on MY list this year!).  But how many of us think about the footprints we are leaving in the lives of others?  People may not remember that I was a little overweight but they will certainly remember if I was unkind to them.  They will remember how I made them feel when they were around me.  They will remember....they WILL remember.


Some footprints sink deeper in the hearts of others, so let us work harder in 2017 on leaving POSITIVE, LASTING footprints that will cause people to think, "Wow!  She was always a good person" or "I loved being around him.  He always made me feel like a better person."  Even when we think we are travelling this road alone, please remember, you are NEVER ALONE.....because you are always leaving a footprint in someone's life.

Much love and happiness to you all!  And Happy New Year!  May 2017 bring you joy and happiness and the strength to make it through whatever comes your way!!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment